Intern - Program Assistant
|ORGANIZATION||National Institute of Urban Affairs (NIUA)|
|CENTRE||Centre for Digital Governance (CDG)|
|PROJECT||Citizen Centric Smart Governance (CCSG) - CDG - Living Lab|
|FUNCTIONAL TITLE||Intern - Program Assistant|
|NO. OF POSTS||02 (Two)|
|DUTY STATION||New Delhi, India|
|TYPE OF CONTRACT||Individual full-time contract|
About the National Institute of Urban Affairs (NIUA):
Established in 1976, the National Institute of Urban Affairs (NIUA) is a premier institute of Ministry of Housing and Urban Affairs, Government of India, for research and capacity building for urban sector in India. NIUA’s broad objective is to bridge the gap between research and practice on issues related to urbanization. For more than 40 years now, NIUA has been the vanguard for contributing to and building the urban narrative for a fast-evolving urban India. The Institute has been actively working on bringing forth key areas of concern for urban India in order to build the urban discourse at various urban scales. It has utilized its competencies in research, knowledge management, policy advocacy and capacity building to address urban challenges and continuously striving to develop sustainable, inclusive and productive urban ecosystems in the country. It has emerged as a thought leader and knowledge hub for urban development in India and is sought after by both Indian and international organizations for collaborations and partnerships in India’s urban transforming journey. NIUA is committed towards aligning its efforts towards achieving Sustainable Development Goals (SDGs) through all its initiatives and programmes.
About the Centre for Digital Governance (CDG): The Ministry of Housing and Urban Affairs (MoHUA) has formulated the National Urban Innovation Stack (NUIS) strategy and approach with the vision to unlock urban innovation and promote collaboration across the entire urban ecosystem. The objective is to create an open digital public good which can enable cocreation and collaboration across the “quadruple helix” of government, industry, academia, and civil society and citizens’ groups in urban India.
With the goal to facilitate adoption and put technology as the core of operations for digital transformation across the ecosystem, the need for an anchor was felt to tie the strengths of all stakeholders together. Responding to this pressing necessity, Centre for Digital Governance (CDG) was institutionalised under the ambit of National Institute of Urban Affairs (NIUA). Envisioned to function as a trusted partner for distributed governance, CDG envisages establishing practice areas on research, governance, platform, partnerships, communication and learning.
With a charter to operationalize the NUIS strategy, CDG is on an ambitious and landscape defining path to contribute to quality of life for our citizens by way of inclusive and accessible digital solutions. The aspiration is to allow digital forces to enable the ease with which citizens, industry and government can connect, collaborate, transact, and share information; state and city administrators can increase productivity by automating routine tasks; and facilitate data based decision making to drive governance and policymaking. As a first step towards implementing the NUIS strategy, the CDG has launched the Citizen Centric Smart Governance (CCSG) program focussed on driving digital governance across 4400 Urban Local Bodies (ULBs) by 2024.
Roles and Responsibilities:
The Research Assistant Intern will get the opportunity to be part of team setting up the CDG at NIUA to operationalise the visionary NUIS (National Urban Innovation Stack) for Indian Urban Governance. The Research Assistant Intern will be deputed under the supervision of Junior Program Associate/ Senior Program Associate with the following tasks:
i. Facilitate and contribute to research, primary and secondary data collection, qualitative and quantitative analysis
ii. Research and benchmark data, strategies & practices to develop insights pertaining to the project.
iii. Provide support for high-quality presentations and publications
iv. Conduct literature reviews and/or travel to field sites to collect and record data and/or samples as needed
v. Organizing, attending and making presentations at meetings, consultations, webinars and events.
vi. Support in miscellaneous job-related tasks as required.
The Program Assistant Intern will also provide necessary support to Program Manager for analytics, documentation, independent assessment, visualization or any other related activities including reports, posters, dossiers etc.
- Bachelor or Master’s Degree in Electrical and Communication Engineering, Computer Science,
Telecommunication Engineering, Urban Planning, Architecture, Economics, Development Studies,
Journalism, Mass Communication or other closely related fields
- Should be a fresher/ recent graduate with 0-2 years of work experience
- Preferably, provide a dossier of relevant work experience by way of URLs, etc.
Required Skills and Competencies:
- Advanced skills in the MS office suite and data analysis-related software Strong analytical, conceptualization and communication skills, good understanding of market research techniques and data analytics
- Strong analytical, conceptualization and communication skills, good understanding of market research
techniques and data analytics
- Excellent interpersonal skills; culturally and socially sensitive; ability to work inclusively and collaboratively with a range of partners and authorities at different levels with an enthusiasm for digital marketing, technology and social impact
- Basic familiarity in multi-media presentation, graphics software would be preferred.
- Additional skill set of working on self-authorising tools like Articulate 360◦, iPresenter, Mind map, etc.
- Should be able to work in a fast-paced environment and be adept at time-management.
- Should be willing to work at the Institute on a full-time basis
Based out of the office at NIUA, New Delhi
Remuneration and Experience Certificate:
Basis your qualifications and skill-sets, a consolidated amount up to₹ 15,000 per month, inclusive of local transport allowance and all taxes. In case an intern leaves before completion of the contract period or without handing over all work assigned by the team leader, he/she will not receive any work certificate.
Through the NIUA portal -
- Submit CV and cover letter clearly mentioning the project’s name in the subject line.
- Additionally, submit the following assignment as an attachment (.pdf/word file):
With a maximum limit of 800 words, please attempt any one of the following –
- As a citizen, make an application to an Urban Local Body for motivating them to join the CDG program?
- Prepare an actionable plan to operationalize the CCSG program with a top-down approach of the three tier government.
The written assignment will be evaluated based on the following criteria:
- Adherence to the timeline
- Writing skills – grammar, clarity, structure
- Research and use of data/ evidence
- Problem solving and reasoning
Last Date to Apply:
Hiring is on a rolling basis and applications for this position will be closed as we find a suitable candidate. Encourage prospective and eligible candidates to apply immediately.