ToR for the role of Lead, Policy and Partnerships.
Purpose of the Assignment
Government of India’s Smart Cities Mission envisage to drive economic growth hand in hand with improving the quality of life of people by enabling local area development and harnessing technology, especially technology that leads to Smart outcomes. However, unprecedented growth may also lead to negative consequences for environment and well-being of its citizens. It is observed that nearly 44% of India’s rapidly growing carbon emissions have urban origins, emanating from transport, industry, buildings and waste contributing towards climate change. This makes our cities vulnerable and imposes huge risks towards increased water stress, heat island effect, increased frequency and severity of extreme weather events such as urban floods/ droughts. India is the sixth most vulnerable country facing extreme weather events as per latest climate index report. Further, curbing air quality deterioration pose serious challenges for city administrators as 43 smart cities in India are already facing poor air quality.
To facilitate cities in understanding these challenges and where cities stand and may improve, Ministry of Housing and Urban Affairs launched ClimateSMART Cities Assessment Framework (CSCAF) in 2019. The CSCAF is a step to adopt, implement and disseminate the best practices adopted by our cities and further to set standards in comparison to the international efforts towards the green, sustainable, and urban resilient habitats.
To achieve this goal, a Climate Centre for Cities (C-Cube) has been established at NIUA to create synergy across all climate actions which are being undertaken within the cities by various stakeholders. In addition, the Centre helps ensure continuity of ongoing initiatives under CSCAF, and capacity building and knowledge retention for mainstreaming climate change action in all 500 Class-I cities of India. The Centre focuses on strengthening capacities of Cities to understand, implement and monitor and actions needed for addressing climate change impacts in their local context. C-Cube also functions as the Secretariat of the ClimateSmart Cities Alliance, a multi-stakeholder partnership instituted by MoHUA to drive cohesive and collaborative climate actions in Indian cities.
The C-CUBE undertakes the following tasks:
- P4 Support (Policy + Planning+ Program + Project) - Develop policy recommendations and planning toolkits for cities to incorporate climate change considerations in land use planning, master planning, housing, and urban development, in addition to implementing demonstrative local climate actions and supporting the national program related to climate change.
- Research and Knowledge Management - Conduct research and develop knowledge products to inform relevant climate intervention in urban development.
- Technology, Data Solutions and Innovations - Create opportunities for solution providers to innovate, create tools and methods, and to incorporate data analytics to support informed decision making in addressing climate challenges in cities.
- Capacity Building - Develop capacity amongst urban practitioners and public officials to understand and apply a climate change perspective to projects and decisions aimed at reducing future risks and enhancing urban resilience.
- Advocacy and Communication - Develop communication materials to inform and influence public and private sector decision-makers at the city, state and national levels.
- Partnerships – Manage the ClimateSmart Cities Alliance, and further strengthen national and global partnerships that can complement and support MoHUA and C-Cube in advocacy, knowledge management, capacity building, innovation, and financing to address the increasing climate risks in Indian cities.
POSITION – Lead, Policy & Partnerships, Climate Centre for Cities (C-Cube)
Location of position
Based out of NIUA, India Habitat Centre, New Delhi; with travel to cities as required.
Term of position
Full-time. The position is for a year with a possibility of extension for the maximum duration of the project (2023).
At par with the industry standards, depending on experience and skills.
Urban Policy and Planning, Climate Change and Disaster Resilience, Urban Environment, Green and Blue infrastructure
Proven expertise in multi-stakeholder engagement, networking and building partnerships, business development, capacity building
Scope of Work and Responsibilities
Policy Research and Advisory:
- The Lead, Policy and Partnerships will be responsible for guiding policy research, developing policy briefs and providing policy inputs for mainstreaming urban climate resilience in various activities, projects, programs of C-Cube, NIUA and MoHUA.
- The candidate will provide technical and capacity building support on the theme of ‘Urban Planning, Green Cover and biodiversity’ for implementation, evaluation and review of the CSCAF and related activities.
- Providing though leadership on the urban climate policy and planning, and representing C-Cube/ NIUA at national and international platforms.
Building Partnerships and Collaborations for scaling C-Cube’s Activities:
- The Lead, Policy and Partnerships will be the anchor person responsible for all activities under the ambit of the ClimateSmart Cities Alliance including, but not limited to, managing the Alliance Secretariat and engagement platform at C-Cube; interlocution with Alliance member organizations, experts and cities; organizing and successful conduct of stakeholder discussions, meetings and workshops; documentation and reporting of activities to MoHUA.
- The candidate is expected to actively network, engage with a range of stakeholders viz. public, government (national/state/local), civil society, private sector stakeholders, academia and donors among others, and lead C-Cube’s initiatives to strengthen technical and financial support to partner cities towards implementation of CSCAF and devising solutions for building urban climate actions in India.
- Develop an overall partnership strategy for the Centre with annual KRAs/KPIs. Build strategic partnerships and collaborations and lead development of proposals for fund raising and resource mobilization to amplify the activities of the Centre and its various projects.
Project Management Support:
- The Lead, Policy and Partnerships will support the Team Lead, C-Cube in overall project planning, management and delivery, inter-vertical coordination, reporting and budget management, and support other verticals and projects of C-Cube/ NIUA as required.
- The candidate will report to the Team Lead, C-Cube and Director, NIUA and work in accordance with the Government of India policies and requirements. The candidate will work closely with the C-Cube team, CSCAF sectoral experts and Urban local bodies (ULBs) / Special purpose vehicle (SPVs) or other relevant government agencies as required.
- Support Team Lead, C-Cube in mobilizing financial, technical and managerial resources for the project, employee management, day to day coordination, supervising and mentoring team members, and any other responsibilities as assigned.
Qualifications & Experience Requirements:
- Post Graduate in (urban/regional) Planning/City Planning/Urban Policy/ Governance/Urban Development or equivalent Social Sciences (relevant to urban development) from reputed institute
- Minimum 8 years of general experience related to urban policy and planning, climate resilience, and sustainable development with minimum 3 years of relevant experience in managing partnerships and multi-stakeholder coordination at reputed private sector or public sector agencies, national/international development or policy organizations or with government at state/national level.
- Excellent writing and communication skills in English. Knowledge of other official/ regional languages of India is desirable.
- Ability to draft clearly and concisely, ideas and concepts in written and oral form; specific skills in writing proposals, policy briefs and papers is highly desirable.
- Ability to lead projects, share knowledge, work well with diverse teams, and work responsibly and flexibly, take initiative, and generate new ideas.
- Willingness to travel to the project locations across India as required.