Research Associate/Fellow - Specialisation in Urban Studies/Population Studies/Health Economics /Labour Market/Migration
NIUA is looking for a Research Associates/Fellows in the development sector with specialisation in urban studies/ labour studies/health economics/population studies/migration/inclusion for its research projects. The incumbent should have a strong theoretical understanding of the urban sector and quantitative research skills.
Main Duties and Responsibilities:
Perform the following activities under the supervision of the team leader:
- Planning and conduct of assigned research activities, individually or jointly, in accordance with the project deliverables and project research strategy
- Survey of existing literature to understand the research challenges associated with the study and subject area
- Preparing questionnaire for primary surveys
- Analysis and interpretation of primary and secondary data, maintaining databases
- Drafting research policy briefs, study reports and papers
- Undertake any other duties of equivalent standing as assigned by the team leader/Director
These key tasks are not intended to be exhaustive but simply highlight the major tasks which the incumbent is expected to perform.
- MPhil/ PhD in economics/urban studies/labour studies/migration studies/population studies/helath economics/social medicine and other relevant subject related to social sciences from a well-recognised university
- Theoretical and practical knowledge relating to urban studies, labour studies, health economics, population studies, migration or inclusion
- Excellent skills in quantitative research methods, proficiency in secondary data sources
- Knowledge of SPSS, STATA, R-programming
- Knowledge of Census of India, NSSO (employment-unemployment and consumption expenditure schedules), DISE and other relevant secondary data
- Knowledge of Census of India, NSSO (migration, morbidity and health expenditure schedules), NFHS, DLHS and other surveys on the health status
- Knowledge of employment related secondary data sources (CMIE, IHDS and ASI)
- 1-3 years relevant research experience
- Experience in information retrieval, extraction and related support
- A track record of publications of research results in quality journals and/ or in conference proceedings
Research creativity and strong cross-discipline collaborative ability
- Excellent communication skills (oral and written), including public presentations and ability to communicate complex information, theory and concepts clearly and concisely
- Excellent interpersonal skills including team working
- Appropriate workload and time management skills
- Excellent IT and data analysis/interpretation skills
Location of positions:
All positions will be based in New Delhi.
Terms of hiring:
The positions will be purely on contractual basis for the duration of 6 months (extendable). During the contract period, the appointed candidates may be assigned work related to other projects if such a need arises within the organization.
Remuneration is at par with the urban sector standards, depending on qualification, experience and skills.
- Application should contain detailed CV and a cover letter clearly stating the relevant experience and suitability for the position applied
- Applications should reach on or before 31 October, 2021
- Applicant should provide names and contact information (preferably phone and email) of two referees (academic and professional). The referees should be senior professionals of the same or related field, and should have known the applicant directly
- After careful scrutiny, suitable candidates shall be shortlisted for interview. The decision of selection lies with NIUA and no queries regarding this matter would be entertained
- Only shortlisted candidates will be contacted