Regional Lead- Engagement (South) & Data Management
National Institute of Urban Affairs (NIUA)
Regional Lead- Engagement (South) & Data Management
Centre for Digital Governance (CDG)
Citizen Centric Smart Governance (CCSG) - CDG
Capital city of one of the southern states
Annually - renewable for the program tenure
TYPE OF CONTRACT
Individual full-time contract
About the National Institute of Urban Affairs (NIUA):
Established in 1976, the National Institute of Urban Affairs (NIUA) is a premier institute of Ministry of Housing and Urban Affairs, Government of India, for research and capacity building for urban sector in India. NIUA’s broad objective is to bridge the gap between research and practice on issues related to urbanization. For more than 40 years now, NIUA has been the vanguard for contributing to and building the urban narrative for a fast-evolving urban India. The Institute has been actively working on bringing forth key areas of concern for urban India in order to build the urban discourse at various urban scales. It has utilized its competencies in research, knowledge management, policy advocacy and capacity building to address urban challenges and continuously striving to develop sustainable, inclusive and productive urban ecosystems in the country. It has emerged as a thought leader and knowledge hub for urban development in India and is sought after by both Indian and international organizations for collaborations and partnerships in India’s urban transforming journey. NIUA is committed towards aligning its efforts towards achieving Sustainable Development Goals (SDGs) through all its initiatives and programmes.
About the National Urban Digital Mission (NUDM) and Centre for Digital Governance (CDG):
The National Urban Digital Mission (NUDM) was launched on 23rd February 2021 by the Hon’ble Minister for Housing and Urban Affairs, Shri Hardeep Singh Puri and the Hon’ble Minister for Electronics and Information Technology, Shri Ravi Shankar Prasad. The vision of the NUDM is to improve the ease of living for citizens by creating a national urban digital ecosystem that delivers accessible, inclusive, efficient and citizen centric governance in India’s 4400 towns and cities.
Anchored through the Centre for Digital Governance (CDG) at National Institute of Urban Affairs (NIUA), the vision of NUDM can only be realized by promoting collaboration across the entire urban ecosystem through effective and inclusive partnerships with member-representatives of the “quadruple helix” of governments, civil society, industry, and academia. This urban innovation will be facilitated with shared public digital infrastructure via access to open platform architecture, standards and specifications. Envisioned to function as a trusted partner for distributed governance, the CDG envisages establishing six key practice areas on research, governance, platform, partnerships, communication and learning with the goal to facilitate adoption and put technology as the core of operations for digital transformation.
The National Urban Digital Mission will use the common digital infrastructure, called the National Urban Innovation Stack (NUIS) to strengthen the capacity of the urban ecosystem to solve complex urban problems at scale and speed The Citizen-Centric Smart Governance (CCSG) program focuses on driving NUDM goal of enabling digital governance2022 ULBs by 15th August 2022, and across all 4400+ ULBs of India by 2025. The urban ecosystem today struggles with constraints on capacity and data. This results in governance that is not citizen-centric, effective, or efficient. ULB leaders, citizens and municipal employees need tools to manage the inherent complexity and dynamism of India’s cities and towns. CCSG aims at enabling integrated e-governance and digital delivery of municipal services to citizens using National Urban Governance platform & other NUIS compliant systems. In addition, there is the National Urban Learning Platform (NULP) - aims at enabling learning & capacity building using the NULP platform for accessible, on demand, on the go learning solutions.
Scope of work:
These roles will be part of the state engagement teams for operationalizing the CCSG program across the country. They will also support the NULP program, for capacity building of states and cities under the NUDM. The CCSG State Engagement Teams will work with the state urban departments, IT departments, city administration, associated administrative institutions, and other urban ecosystem partners from industry, start-ups, academia and civil society to contextualize the CCSG program for the needs of the states and its’ cities. This team will use the partner model to drive value-based adoption of the CCSG program and the National Urban Governance Platform (NUGP) across states and cities. With this context, this team will create relevant strategy, deployment plan and operationalize it to achieve national, regional and state targets. The goal is to get all states and cities to adopt e-governance through the CCSG program using NUGP or other NUIS compliant e-governance solutions.
They will also contribute to evolving/developing the CCSG and NULP Program and providing operational and programmatic leadership in coordination with the Program Teams; National Program Head, CDG; and the Director NIUA, and relevant stakeholders at MoHUA and in the partner ecosystem.
Roles and Responsibilities:
Regional Lead- Engagement (South) & Data Management will lead the entire contingent of regional engagement teams for the region of South India and also lead the national level data driven governance for CDG and its partners. This position offers the opportunity of driving CDGs charter to operationalize e-governance across States and ULBs of South India. The role holder will work across functions of strategy & planning, research & insights, communication & outreach, partnership and program impact to establish CDG as a trusted advisor for urban transformation ecosystem. The role holder will also drive the strategy for curating and developing a thriving data driven governance strategy and model to support the goals of National Urban Digital Mission (NUDM).
Role holder is expected to drive adoption of e-governance across all ULBs through state level engagement for South India, using the options of CCSG program adoption. The role holder will own the accountability to fulfil the goals of NUDM for his region through the implementation and adoption of CCSG and NULP program. This will include targets of 100% ULBs on e-Governance platform, increase in service levels experienced by citizens, partnering start-ups and industry, addressing on-demand skilling needs of cities & states through the NULP Platform.
Role holder will lead the strategy, plan and operations for effective data driven governance to support the goals and milestones of programs of CCSG and NULP under the National Urban Digital Mission. The Regional Lead will report to National Engagement Head, CDG and will work with the central CCSG and NULP program teams to achieve the following:
- Lead and drive the programs under the NUDM at the Southern regional level while building and achieving the mission milestones and program deliverables.
- Be the business leader to drive strategies, models and operations of creating a robust data driven governance mechanism to support CCSG and NULP program goals as well as the key stakeholders at the state for data driven decision-making. This will be in collaboration with the program & engagement team leads.
- Lead the data management, analytics strategy, design and work on operationalising it with the leadership
- Onboard all states and UTs in the region under the CCSG program, working with the state engagement teams and drive the program adoption
- Support the program adoption and usage of the NULP by the cities in the region.
- Work with key stakeholders from central ministry, NIUA, CDG program teams, and ecosystem partners to create efficient program practices to address the needs of the states, cities and citizens in the region
- Be the face of the mission and program at the state level with key ministries of urban Development and IT. Be the voice of the states, in the region, to the centre, to represent their needs and challenges.
- Represent the states and cities needs from the region to drive e-governance and capacity building centrally at NIUA, CDG and Ministry
- Bring deep insights and leadership to the state teams to address needs of the states, cities and citizens
- Position CDG as a trusted advisor in the ecosystem through challenges & hackathon events, reports, partnerships etc.
- Ensure a strong and robust communications process between all members and staff within the area and across the divisions as needed for a common alignment to the mission & program goals
- Drive the narrative of the e-governance and digital transformation through strong use cases of program success at state/city level as well as citizen impact from the region
- Develop and maintain relationships with program partners at the national and state level.
- Drive program adoption and usage including the key metrics of success as defined by program deliverables, for the region
- Identify and communicate opportunities and plans for partners to grow in conjunction with the program as it scales.
- Implement outreach & communication strategies for the customers in the region
- Represent the program at industry events in the region, which will include describing the benefits of working with the program to partners and other industry players.
- Ensure and promote the development of the engagement team/succession planning through training and leadership development.
- M.Tech or Masters in Urban Planning or Urban Management, or MBA or other Masters’ degree from a premier institute.
- Demonstrated 12-18 years of relevant work experience with 7+ years at State and city level in urban, development or IT domain.
- Experience in managing a transformation program in any BPR/GPR/capacity building will be desirable
- Excellent communication skills including the ability to communicate with and manage expectations of senior executives/experts and their staff.
Required Skills and Competencies:
- Demonstrated experience in business development, relationship management, account management skills
- Experience in data analytics, data management and data decision models will be preferred
- Demonstrated experience in developing preliminary communications strategies and campaigns to drive change management
- Strong analytical, conceptualization and communication skills,
- Good understanding of data driven transformation (driving change in people, process and technology) with outstanding attention to detail
- Entrepreneurial spirit, including ability to work independently and autonomously, willingness to accept responsibilities for results.
- Excellent program management, organizational and time management skills.
- Commitment to learning
- Particular interest in citizen centric technology, public policy and advocacy, social enterprises
- Should be willing to travel and work at the ground level with municipalities and government officials.
- Should be willing to work at the Institute on a full-time basis.
The base location will be a capital city of one of the southern states.
Reference letters from two references to be included with the CV
Remuneration and Experience Certificate:
At par with the industry standards, depending on experience and skills. Proof of past remuneration (last received salary/monthly contract payment) would be required.
Notice period for termination from either side will be one month or salary in lieu of.
Submit CV and cover letter through NIUA portal. Please clearly mention the project’s name in the subject line.