Program Manager- CITIIS
|ORGANIZATION||National Institute of Urban Affairs (NIUA)|
|FUNCTIONAL TITLE||Program Manager- CITIIS|
|PROJECT NAME||City Investments To Innovate, Integrate & Sustain (CITIIS)|
|DUTY STATION:||New Delhi, India|
|DURATION||One Year (Renewable)|
|TYPE OF CONTRACT||Individual Consultant Contract|
About the National Institute of Urban Affairs (NIUA)
Established in 1976, the National Institute of Urban Affairs (NIUA, is a premier Institute of Ministry of Housing and Urban Affairs, Government of India for research and capacity building for urban sector in India. NIUA’s broad objective is to bridge the gap between research and practice on issues related to urbanization. For more than 40 years now, NIUA has been the vanguard for contributing to and building the urban narrative for a fast-evolving Urban India. The Institution has been actively working on bringing forth key areas of concern for urban India in order to build the urban discourse at various urban scales. It has utilized its competencies in research, knowledge management, policy advocacy and capacity building to address urban challenges and continuously striving to develop sustainable, inclusive, and productive urban ecosystems in the country. It has emerged as a thought leader and knowledge hub for urban development in India and is sought out by both Indian and International organizations for collaborations and partnerships in India’s urban transforming journey. NIUA is committed towards aligning its efforts towards achieving Sustainable Development Goals (SDGs) through all its initiatives and programs.
The objective of the Smart Cities Mission, launched in 2015, is to promote cities that provide core infrastructure and give a decent quality of life to its citizens, a clean and sustainable environment and application of ‘Smart’ Solutions. The Smart City Mission represents an important shift in the Government of India’s (GoI) urban sector policy, which aims at promoting smart integrated urban projects to improve the economic attractiveness of cities; as well as strengthening Urban Local Bodies’ (ULBs) technical and financial management capacities.
Financed by the French Development Agency (AFD) and the European Union (EU) and supported by Ministry of Housing and Urban Affairs (MoHUA) and National Institute of Urban Affairs (NIUA), the CITIIS program aims at putting in place complementary instruments to the Smart Cities Mission to provide a financial incentive and technical support to demonstrative projects. The program was launched in March, 2018 and it is currently operational across 12 Smart City SPVs in India.
Each selected smart city project benefits from the additional Government of India grant financed through a EUR 100 million loan from AFD and EUR 6 million grant from the European Union. Along with the financial support, the selected projects’ SPVs also benefit from long-term international coaching to support the development and implementation of the project.
The Program Manager- CITIIS shall assist the Program Coordinator & Team Lead- CITIIS in managing overall design, operations and monitoring of the program. Responsibilities of the Program Manager shall include but not limited to the following:
- Setting up tools for managing overall operations the program in consultation with the Program Coordinator and Team Lead.
- Ensuring good collaboration of all the stakeholders including the Ministry of Housing and Urban Affairs (MoHUA), Agence française de développement (AFD), European Union, State Governments and the Smart City SPVs under CITIIS program.
- Managing the operations of technical assistance program viz. Global mentors, Domestic experts and Transversal experts hired under the program.
- Following up on the urban innovation experimentation of the granted projects.
- Supporting the Knowledge Capitalization process in close collaboration with the Knowledge Officer of the CITIIS program.
- Assessing and updating the Monitoring & Evaluation indicators on regular basis on the CITIIS Management Platform (CMP).
- Drafting interim, annual reports and other documentation as maybe necessary.
- Handholding the Smart City SPVs and State Governments in effective and efficient implementation of the program.
The Program Manager - CITIIS shall work closely with all program officers and specialists in the team; and directly report to the Program Coordinator & Team Leader - CITIIS at NIUA, New Delhi.
Skills and Qualifications
- Post-graduate degree in Urban Planning, Management, Economics, Public Policy, Civil Engineering or any other allied fields.
- Minimum 08 years of work experience with at-least 5 years in the urban sector.
- Understanding of the urban sector and governance structures in the country; as well as national missions and programs such as the Smart Cities Mission, AMRUT, Jal Jeevan Mission, National Action Plan for Climate Change etc.
- Experience of working on urban projects either with National, State, Local Government or Smart City SPVs in India.
- Experience of managing projects funded by donor agencies such as The World Bank, Asian Development, The French Development Agency, GIZ, European Union etc.
- Demonstrated experience of drafting quality reports submitted to Government / aid agencies or papers published in reputed journals.
- Good social, analytical, inter-personal and planning skills.
- Excellent written and oral communication skills.
References: Please provide name and contact information of three references.
Remuneration: As par with the industry standards, depending on experience and skills and fitment with NIUA remuneration structures. Proof of past remuneration (last received salary/monthly contract payment) would be required.
Application process: Submit CV and cover letter through the NIUA portal. Only eligible applicants with minimum 08 years of work experience should apply.