|ORGANIZATION||National Institute of Urban Affairs (NIUA)|
|FUNCTIONAL TITLE||Communications Specialist|
|PROJECT NAME||City Investments To Innovate, Integrate & Sustain (CITIIS)|
|DUTY STATION||New Delhi, India|
|DURATION||One Year (Renewable)|
|TYPE OF CONTRACT||Individual Consultant Contract|
About the National Institute of Urban Affairs (NIUA)
Established in 1976, the National Institute of Urban Affairs (NIUA, is a premier Institute of Ministry of Housing and Urban Affairs, Government of India for research and capacity building for urban sector in India. NIUA’s broad objective is to bridge the gap between research and practice on issues related to urbanization. For more than 40 years now, NIUA has been the vanguard for contributing to and building the urban narrative for a fast-evolving Urban India. The Institution has been actively working on bringing forth key areas of concern for urban India in order to build the urban discourse at various urban scales. It has utilized its competencies in research, knowledge management, policy advocacy and capacity building to address urban challenges and continuously striving to develop sustainable, inclusive, and productive urban ecosystems in the country. It has emerged as a thought leader and knowledge hub for urban development in India and is sought out by both Indian and International organizations for collaborations and partnerships in India’s urban transforming journey. NIUA is committed towards aligning its efforts towards achieving Sustainable Development Goals (SDGs) through all its initiatives and programs.
The objective of the Smart Cities Mission, launched in 2015, is to promote cities that provide core infrastructure and give a decent quality of life to its citizens, a clean and sustainable environment and application of ‘Smart’ Solutions. The Smart City Mission represents an important shift in the Government of India’s (GoI) urban sector policy, which aims at promoting smart integrated urban projects to improve the economic attractiveness of cities; as well as strengthening Urban Local Bodies’ (ULBs) technical and financial management capacities.
Financed by the French Development Agency (AFD) and the European Union (EU) and supported by Ministry of Housing and Urban Affairs (MoHUA) and National Institute of Urban Affairs (NIUA), the
CITIIS program aims at putting in place complementary instruments to the Smart Cities Mission to provide a financial incentive and technical support to demonstrative projects. The program was
launched in March, 2018 and it is currently operational across 12 Smart City SPVs in India.
Each selected smart city project benefits from the additional Government of India grant financed through a EUR 100 million loan from AFD and EUR 6 million grant from the European Union. Along with the financial support, the selected projects’ SPVs also benefit from long-term international coaching to support the development and implementation of the project.
The Communications Specialist shall work closely work with the Knowledge Officer, Program Manager and other team members for capitalising and disseminating information to a wider audience. The responsibilities of the incumbent will include, but will not be limited to:
- To develop a plan for communications for the project as per EU and AFD, but keeping in mind context and sensitivities of the NIUA, MoHUA and Govt. of India.
- To prepare the plan (actions, roles, timelines, formats, branding, etc.), secure concurrence of the agencies involved and seek approval on budgets from the Program Coordinator & Team Lead- CITIIS.
- To adhere to the above with support of PMU team on content, but full responsibility on all material, agencies and processes related to communications.
- To develop creative knowledge products (IEC material including print & digital brochure, newsletter, videos, other user-friendly information, education and communication material) based on requirements targeting different stakeholders with clear dissemination plan.
- For the above products, work with relevant design entity to create good infographics to showcase intent, components, project progress, linkages with other aspects of development in India, including the various missions, Sustainable Development Goals etc.
- To plan and manage events fully as required, including hiring of event management agency where applicable. Otherwise, activities including Agenda & schedule planning, venue & facilities management, Invitations & RSVPs, Press coverage (invitations, RSVPs, press release, interviews, proof-editing, post-coverage touchpoints), Event coordination (incl. design, arrangements, MCing, peripherals, mementoes) & wrap-up, and to prepare event reports with all necessary documentation (photo, video, audio, transcript, summary, etc.)
- To develop content and update the social media, websites, newsletters, press releases and any other distribution channels to deliver the project content and ensure visibility.
- To support project team in other research, sp. development sector updates, parallel or conflicting reports and relevant news-reports.
- To help PMU team leader with team coordination and formal project reporting as required.
- To ensure accurate branding across all communication material as per requirement
- To monitor & report all aspects of the above, as per the action plan and following all procurement, branding, documenting, reporting and dissemination practices.
The Communications Specialist- CITIIS shall work closely with the program team and report to the Program Coordinator / Team Leader - CITIIS at NIUA, New Delhi.
Skills and Qualifications
- Qualification related to mass communications, branding & strategy, multi-media or graphic design, and related visibility fields would be desirable.
- Minimum 10 years of relevant professional experience in communication and media relations, of which 5 years in large & reputed private sector or with government at State / national level
- Relevant experience of working with multi-lateral and bilateral agencies on their visibility & communications requirements, and experience in working with various stakeholders.
- Prior work experience in activities related to urban development, infrastructure, design & engineering sector shall be an advantage.
- Ability to draft clearly and concisely, ideas and concepts in written and oral form; specific skills in writing press releases and articles/stories for print and electronic media.
- Excellent writing and communication skills in English.
- Ability to work responsibly and flexibly, take initiative, and generate new ideas.
- Willingness to travel to the project locations across India as required.
References: Please provide name and contact information of three references.
Remuneration: As par with the industry standards, depending on experience and skills and fitment with NIUA remuneration structures. Proof of past remuneration (last received salary/monthly contract payment) would be required.
Application process: Submit CV and cover letter through the NIUA portal.